Four teens get murdered, another war between Israel and Palestine starts. Patricia Smith, the author of "How the Murder of Four Teens Started a War" writes about another war that has happened between Palestine and Israel. Palestine and Israel have been in a conflict for 6 decades now over teritory. They have fought many times already and now another war played out. One of the causes is that 3 Israeli teens were kidnapped and killed by Palestinians militants. Soon a young Palestinian got killed by an Israelist. All of this concluding with a war between the two groups. The author wants me to learn about how history and these horrible killings started yet another war between the countries.
Throughout the article, Patricia quotes many people. One of the people is the Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu. After the three murders he said, "They were kidnapped and murdered in cold blood by beasts. Hamas is responsible, and Hamas will pay." Hamas is a terrorist organization that controls the Gaza Strip. This quote shows that Benjamin is very convinced that it was Hamas's idea to kill the three Israeli teens. He will not show any mercy towards Palestinians and will fight them. He is ready for war and will not back off at any cost. That is one of the reasons why the war started.
The author also talks about the history of Israel and Palestine and their conflicts with eachother. He says, "According to the U.N. plan, the territory,, then known as Palestine and governed by Great Britain, would be divided into two states, one Arab and one Jewish But Arabs rejected this plan and attacked Israel when it declared its independence the following year." This quote explains and shows how the dissagreements and bad blood between Israel and Palestine started. It was all over land and wanting to be larger and more powerful than the other country. Because of this bad history between the two countries, the war could have also started. But the killings helped the war start even earlier than it would have.
Throughout the whole article the author speaks a lot about Palestine and Israel and their history with eachother. She also speaks about the four murders of the teens that also contributed to another war starting. This connects to conflicts in general because most of the time conflicts begin because of bad history and sudden events that happen which help spark it. So the author taught me well about how many big conflicts start and later play out.
Write an original literary piece
All of you think you're cool,
Laughing at me at school.
Oh lets make fun if him, he's lame,
He's got a stupid long name.
But I won't give in to you,
I won't start crying "Boo Hoo".
You think you're all,
Just because you're big and I'm small.
All of you want to hurt me,
I'm not stupid, I can see.
You think I'm hurt by your bad word,
Oh, that's the most pathetic thing I've heard.
Do you think now I feel bad about myself,
Why would I want to ruin my health?
Your words I don't give a thing for,
They are just too poor.
I wanted to make my poem about a social issue that happens in school. So I picked bullying. My poem is about bullying and how a kid withstands it. When I was writing this poem I thought about what kids bully eachother about. I came up with weird names, the kids height or if they have many friends and are "lame" or not. So I included all of those things to be directed at the main character of my poem. Then I thought about the ways that kids bully eachother. During this thinking I reread the short story "Am I Blue" because I remembered that the main character Vince was bullied a lot. I found out that the bully, Butch, used a lot of bad and mean words while bullying Vince. So I used that in the poem and said that mean words were directed at the main character in the poem. Lastly I thought about bullying affects people. How when they are bullied they usually start feeling bad about themselves and become depressed. So since my main character was withstanding bullying, I made him just laugh at the idea of becoming depressed because of bullying.
Social Issues in Art
In the picture "Prayer Time, Five Points House of Industry" by Jacob A. Riis, I see 19 little children, all wearing white gowns, praying. There is one woman standing in the back of the room watching them. There are many beds in which the children probably sleep. The room has brick walls and a wooden floor.
The kids praying could show that they are praying for a better life. Some children look upset which shows they really don't like the way they have to live a harsh life. The beds show that they all must sleep in one room, showing that they are poor. The white gowns that all of them are wearing shows that they must be poor since all of them wear the same thing. But also the white color could symbolize the childrens youth and innocence and that they want their lives to be peaceful. The woman in the back watching them could be their boss or leader and that shows her superiority over them. She's not praying with them which also shows how she has power over them and watches them at all times to make sure they are doing what they're supposed to be doing. Overall this whole picture shows how the children must be very poor and are all hoping for a better life.
This picture makes me feel sorrow for all those little children who must be really poor and probably have to work there. I know that there are still places in the world where things look like they do in this picture, and those people need help. Since U.S.A. got out of those kinds of times, other countries hopefully will too. The picture makes me wonder about what the children are thinking at that very moment. Do they feel sorrow, angry, or even happiness. Also I want to find out what the woman in the back is thinking and feeling. Does she also feel sorry for the children. Does she feel guilt? Or is she happy that the kids must suffer a lot.
Works Cited
Riis, Jacob A. Prayer Time, Five Points House of Industry. N.d. Pioneering Social Reformer Jacob Riis Revealed "How The Other Half Lives" in America. Web. 2 Dec. 2014. <http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/pioneering-social-reformer-jacob-riis-revealed-how-other-half-lives-america-180951546/?no-ist>.
Smith, Patricia. "How the Murder of Four Teens Started a War." New York Times Upfront 27 Oct. 2014: 10-11. Web.
No comments:
Post a Comment