Sunday, June 21, 2015

Final Blogpost- Letter and Book list

Dear Ms. Galang and class 811,

This year has been a very fun and enjoying year, thanks to you guys. ELA especially was really great and I learned a lot in it. I really enjoyed reading in a book club in which I could discuss my thoughts about the book with other people, who are also reading that same book. Someone always offered a different idea about the book which would end in a longer conversation and sometimes argument. But when we had to make a synthesis page for the book, we would take all of our ideas and incorporate them in the synthesis page. Taking notes was sometimes a hassle for me, but now I see how they really help you to better understand the book you are reading. They also are a good way to keep track of your thoughts that you have had while reading the book. Being in a book club was a great experience for me and I hope that in high school I will have the opportunity to be in one too.

I also really enjoyed the Romeo and Juliet unit. It was a fun and interesting experience to read a book that is written in old english. I was surprised at how I actually understood a lot of the things that were written. Then if I didn't understand certain things, our class discussions about the book helped me better understand what I read. I also really enjoyed being able to perform certain parts of the Romeo and Juliet book. By perfoming we got to visually show how we interpreted the text. We got to see eachothers interpretations and talk about what we did differently, and why we did it a certain way. One thing that really helped me in these perfomances, especially the final one, was that we watched the movie. I could then base my actions, and facial expressions, on what they were doing in the movie, while still using my interpretations. This unit was very great and I enjoyed it a lot.

My hopes for high school are that I will be able to use what I learned this year in ELA about writing essays and understanding the books you are reading, and use these things in High School ELA. Annotating and writing notes will help me to better understand the books I will read, and synthesis pages can help me with writing essays about those books. Hopefully I will use these strategies and do very well in ELA class in High School.

                                           Thank you for the great year! Sincerely,

                                                                                                           Pawel Subernat




Summer and High School book list
The Diamond of Darkhold by: Jeanne DuPrau

The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak

The Fault in our Stars by: John Green

To Kill a Mockingbird by: Harper Lee
The Great Gatsby by: F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by: Stephen Chbosky



No comments:

Post a Comment